Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cottage Trail, Turkey Spur: Pipestem SP

This is more in my Pipestem series {wink}.  New Year's Day dawned, cold and damp.  Encyclopedia walked to the lodge to spend some time with some WiFi.  Poor guy had gone over 24 hours without connection and was suffering withdrawals.  Burt and Cool Guy decided to go to the gameroom and try their hand at some pool, ping pong, and arcade games.  I hiked.

I never hike alone.  It's not really safe, and I'm a big chicken.  Plus, I'm directionally challenged.  But this hike I figured would be OK.  It was just around the cabins.  And it was OK, but I got lost.  Again.

I started with the Cottage Trail, which was basically just a trail to get you to the other trails.  It was fairly level, and went through winter woods.  The ground was hard, still frozen in the morning.  Not a soul around. Lovely and quiet.  I had my trusty trail map at the ready to guide me through.

 Cottage trail let to Turkey Spur, just as the map said it would, and I followed it.  More woods meanderings.  Of note were some tracks in the snow: rabbit, deer, probably fox, and I think turkey.  Another great happening was that at one point, about 100 yards away, a tree fell, and of course, I heard it. I have never seen a tree fall for no apparent reason.  That was pretty neat.

According to the map, Turkey Spur was supposed to intersect with South Side Trail, which had remnants of pioneer settlers, like old home foundations, and I was keen to take it.  But Turkey Spur came to a T, and there was no sign at this intersection.  Let me back up and say right now that in general, the trails at Pipestem were fabulously well maintained, well signed, and blazed almost to excess, which is about the level that I need.  I should have wondered as soon as I failed to spot any blazes, but it was definitely a trail and a wide one at that, so I took a stab and followed it.  Really, there was no other alternative except to turn back.

It wasn't any known trail, just a mystery trail or deer trail, though it was always clear and easy to follow.  I got a little worried, but after quite awhile, I ended back up at Turkey Spur, at which point I called it quits and  worked my way back to start.  Regardless of what the heck the trail was, it was still a very nice walk, but I was also plenty relieved to find myself back where I knew where I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment