Thursday, February 28, 2013

Ohio River Islands Upland Trail

Cool Guy and I did the Upland Trail of Ohio River Islands Wildlife Refuge on Feb. 15.  It was cold and spitting snow.

The trail began straight up and wound through the hills in the area.  One big difference between this trail and the riverside one was that this trail was much more primitive.  Actually, I enjoyed it more.  It was almost exclusively a woods trail.  Not much of a view to speak of, no big water interest, just woods.  But they were pretty woods, even in the winter.  We crossed several small ravines and had several nice woodsy scenes.  There wasn't a lot of up and down after the first up, just a lot of meandering until it was time to come down.

The trail was well-blazed, and a really nice perk was that several trees were identified for us.  I especially remember the Virginia Pine, and I think I could identify that myself now.  Cool Guy was most impressed with the poison ivy vine (id'd) that was a thick around as my wrist.  Glad it was winter.  We don't like poison ivy.

The trail was about a mile in length, with a shorter loop or figure 8 option that we didn't take.  Next time....




No comments:

Post a Comment